When a weekend trip to Portsmouth, NH turns into a farm adventure in Loudon…all thanks to my findings on Airbnb.
As an avid animal lover who one day hopes to have a home filled with miniature pigs (the first one named Wendell, obviously) and chickens and goats and, like, a bazillion dogs, I’ve decided I’m going veg. This basically happened overnight like, two days ago. And I’m already craving steak…
Happy Earth Day!
I’m very excited to have had a post published on Elite Daily today titled, “How To Not Feel Insignificant When Trying To Fight Global Climate Change.” Woooo! I’m a huge proponent of helping the environment. From using reusable bags (not just when grocery shopping, but for ANY shopping!) and avoiding plastic utensils, to unplugging unused cords (your chargers are still using energy even if there’s no phone/laptop/camera plugged into them!) and turning off lights — there are so many small steps we can take to ensure a long life for planet Earth.
This world can be really shitty at times, but let’s all take a second to remember how beautiful it can be too.
Spread kindness and cheer, xo
The world’s problems can seem too huge and daunting to fix, but the good news is that we can all make a difference with even the smallest of actions. Educate yourself and others on the facts and from there, anything is possible. Let’s be more mindful and help to make this world a more wonderful place!
- Nearly 800 million people don’t have access to clean water. Did you take a shower this morning? Keep the tap running as you brushed your teeth? Boil some water for your ramen noodles? Water is absolutely essential and the folks at charity: water aim to eradicate the water crisis with each clean water well they build. Help them help the world by donating now! And guess what? 100 percent of your donation goes straight to the field. http://www.charitywater.org/
- Approximately 2.7 million healthy cats and dogs are euthanized each year because shelters are too full. Remember that time you went to a party but it was too crowded so somebody stuck a needle in your arm and you died? No? Right. Pups and kittens are great, but folks need to be open to adopting the seniors and mutts too. Adopt, don’t shop people. And spay and neuter those frisky critters! Best Friends is a no-kill non profit and your donation helps fuel their programs around the country. http://bestfriends.org/donate
- With nearly 19,000 deaths this year, the US is set to have its deadliest traffic year since 2007 according to the National Safety Council. Let me repeat that. Nineteen THOUSAND people have already died this year in traffic accidents. You know that cool Snapchat filter which tracks MPH? If you’re driving, you sure as hell should not be using it. Traffic deaths happen due to a variety of reasons, but for the love of your life and everyone else’s please leave the phone alone. Learn more here: http://www.nsc.org/learn
- Less than 1 percent of plastic bags are recycled each year, according to the Clean Air Council. But when I throw bags in the trash, they just disappear and I don’t have to deal with them again so who cares, right? Well I’m pretty sure all of the turtles, dolphins and whales of the world, who choke on these bags, would beg to differ. Ban the bag! Find your state legislator and spread the word. http://www.ncsl.org/
- We live in a world where more people have cellphones than toilets. Are you currently sitting on a toilet as you read this on your mobile device? Yeah… Let’s support Unicef in their efforts to prevent open defecation so that everyone may safely pee, poop and pinterest in peace. http://support.unicef.org/
- Nine percent of the homeless population is made up of veterans. Homelessness is a huge problem in general, but the fact that those who fought for our continued freedom and rights are now without shelter is not OK. These folks suffer not only from physical wounds, but emotional distress too. Veteran’s Day is coming up; let’s support all of them. http://veteransmatter.org/donate/
- Nations like the US and UK waste 1.5 trillion pounds of food each year. I don’t even know how to put that number into perspective for you, but I think we can all agree that it’s way too much. From oversized portions and sneaky sell by dates, to forgetfulness and bias against bruised fruit and veggies, it’s easy to waste food these days. Food waste harms our climate, culture and biodiversity. Lettuce be better about this. http://www.endfoodwastenow.org/
- Hunger kills more people each year than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined. Remember how I just told you about all the food we waste? From bruised apples to dented cans of food, we throw so much away while folks are literally starving. Skip the la-dee-dah latte you don’t need this morning and help save a life. I bet you’ll feel even more energized. http://www.stophungernow.org/
- More than 1 million American youth end up in juvenile court each year. These are the folks of the future who we need to build up, support and educate. Support those in your community and join Big Brothers Big Sisters of America to help kids become the leaders we can all rally behind. http://www.bbbs.org/
Spread kindness and cheer, xo